STEP 1: Here’s the original cartoon that’s been making the rounds on the web:
STEP 2: Compare what actual atheists are regularly noted for (hint: it’s not positively extolling the virtues of nonbelief, that’s for sure):
- Flinging ‘unholy water’ on a highway to negate a blessing
- Put up signs mocking religion – on space for Nativity scenes… Which gets all displays banned (tipped by wits0).
- Booking up as many display lots as possible – intentionally at Christmas and Hannukah time
- ‘De-baptizing’ people of holy water with a hair dryer
- Offering porn in exchange for Bibles to declare that the Bible is worse
- Threatening a lawsuit to force the removal of a landmark chapel from a city logo – because it has a cross
- Put up a confrontational billboard, at Christmas of all times
- Seemingly the majority of remarks left on a blog, comments section, message board or Twitter feed by atheists. Examples: ohTHATJesus Twitter feed, By The Book Comics.
- Among the most rabid hobbies of basically every single Communist regime which all just happen to be de-facto atheist. Examples: Leninist Russia, Stalinist USSR, Communist China, Khmer Rouge Cambodia, North Korea, Cuba, Calles’ Mexico, and overall list here.
STEP 3: Thus I submit my edit of the cartoon, to better reflect reality:
As Ace says:
But one of the central planks of the Church of Atheism is that religion is inherently evil and causes you to behave like an a$$hole.
Well, that’s not true. Most religious people are as far away from a$$holery as is possible.
Sure, there are the always-present Some. Some are a$$holes. Sure.
But if it’s religion that’s causing all this illogic and anger and emotionalism and pettiness and spitefulness and general a$$holery, why is it so present among those who have no religion?
And via AoSHQ, Dinesh D’Souza:
But if you think about it, this is an inadequate explanation, because if you truly believe that there is no proof for God, then you’re not going to bother with the matter. You’re just going to live your life as if God isn’t there.
What I’m getting at is that you have these people out there who don’t believe that God exists, but who are actively attempting to eliminate religion from society, setting up atheist video shows, and having atheist conferences. There has to be more going on here than mere unbelief.
Ace, btw, is not a religious person – self described as atheist/agnostic – and is by no means a Christian.
See also twin posts, Christianity Inspires Good in A Way Unbelief Cannot Emulate (serious) and Things That Are Highly Unlikely (Atheism vs Christianity) – Me on Twitter (snarky).