Please read through before you decide to flame me in the comments, dig?
This post is intended to be read, pondered and answered by Creationists, Intelligent Design proponents, and Christian and Jewish believers. It is an expansion of my very old post, Creation: How?.
First up, some assumptions I will make for the purposes of this post:
1) God as portrayed in the Bible is real and can do anything He wishes
2) God created all the universe, the Earth and all life on Earth
3) Evolution is not true.
Now, let’s review the following observations about God:
1) When a needy family needs money desperately, God doesn’t answer their prayers by snapping His fingers and making cash materialize out of thin air – even though He can. He instead prompts the heart of a believer to give a love gift to that family.
2) When God wanted to save mankind by forgiving their sins, He didn’t just snap His fingers and wipe the slates clean – even though He could. Instead, He sent Jesus to willingly die as atonement for our sins, in accordance with the Law God gave Moses.
3) When God created the universe, He didn’t just snap His fingers and make all the stars, planets and comets appear already in place across space and time – even though He could. Okay, maybe He did snap His fingers, butthe point is that He instead caused the Big Bang which, just as the Church has long believed, created everything from nothing, and over time formed all the Red Shifter, exapanding universe.
Therefore, we can see that while God is able to make anything happen by His omnipotence, He chooses to do it through orderly means that do not break the laws of space, time and holiness He put into place.
Which leads to the question: If we aren’t convinced or don’t believe that evolution is true, then by what means did God create all life on Earth?
Yes, God could snapped His fingers and instantly the seas would be filled with fish, the land with trees and animals, and the skies with birds already in flight. At a glance, that would seem to be how it’s portrayed in Genesis – instant creation.
But the way God created the non-living universe was by the billions-of-years process started by the Big Bang – and the account of the creation of the universe is also in Genesis. So it doesn’t all have to be instantaneous.
So if, IMHO, God created all life using an orderly process that follows the scientific laws He Himself invented… And evolution is not that method…
What other method is there that is proposed?
Citing Intelligent Design does not avoid the problem. It merely states that a Designer with great intelligence designed all life, but it doesn’t explain or propose WHAT process the Designer used. We still need a build-from-bottom-up process that results in life, just as how God built the universe from the bottom up with the atoms and quarks of the Big Bang.
And note that this does not make His miracles any lessened – creating everything from nothing in a gazillionth of a second and causing unaffiliated molecules to combine into life is still way out of the realm of common probability!
I’ve pondered it long, and haven’t any answers as yet. It would therefore seem that, despite its many flaws and holes, evolution is currently the only build-from-bottom-up theory there is.
So, anyone have any ideas?
PS. But don’t worry, even if evolution turns out to be true in some aspects, that does not abrogate the truth of Creationism (God created all life) or Intelligent Design (life was designed by intelligence).
For an explanation why, see my post The Sin Theory of Evolution – Reconciling Evolution, Creationism and Intelligent Design .