DISCLAIMER: The following post does not in any way intend to offend members of any religion or belief. It merely points out legitimate worries on the minds of the electorate.
PAS releases campaign billboards to point out the superior moral fibre of PAS over UMNO. Somehow I don’t think it will have quite the intended effect on potential non-Muslims supporters…
See the rest of the images at Malaysian Choice.
To a non-Muslim, the selected choices boil down to these:
1. Do you want Ketuanan Islam, or Ketuanan Melayu?
2. Do you want sharia and hudud law, or a crony judiciary and police force?
3. Do you want Islamic religious leaders, or half-wit leaders?
7. Do you want to obey the Quran, or the Constitution with its ingrained ‘social contract’?
14. Do you want your rights as non-Muslims to be respected (insofar as a dhimmi has second-class rights), or to have the same kinds of first-class rights as Muslims given to you? (Bang, Ow! Shot own foot!)
21. Do you want the crucial issues decided by Quranic and Hadithic scholarship, or Western-style logic and reasoning? (Fire two, Bang Ow!)
22. Do you want politics looking towards No-Non-Islam-Religions-Allowed-To-Step-Foot-Here Mecca and Non-Islam-Religions-Cannot-Protelyse-Or-Be-Visibly-Non-Islamic-btw-Death-to-Jews Iran, or Western-style equal rights? (Third time’s a charm, Bang Ow!)
33. Do you want to vote for the party that is 100% comprised of followers of Islam, or do you support the party of kafirs (i.e. infidels, unbelievers, rejecters of the truth, ingrates) – especially in Sabah ? (Bang Ow! Only one more toe left on this side!)
38. Do you want to be separated from your wife, mother and daughters in public, or do you actually want to be a family? (Bang Ow! Okay, that foot’s done – and just in time, only one more bullet in the six-shooter.)
39. Do you want Islam to be the true top priority, or do you want Islam merely to be the tool that is used to gain power to control you?
42. Do you want your leaders shouting “Allah is great! Live Islam!”, or “Independence! Live UMNO! Live Malays!”?
44. Do you want to champion Islam, or champion Malaysia? (Let’s make the last one count boys! Ready, aim… Bang! *self pwnage complete*)
I have trouble even deciphering some of the heavily Islamic-origin words, which surely cannot help ease the fears of suspicious, paranoid, distrustful, phobic skeptics like myself.
If, as some say, choosing between Anwar or Najib basically comes down to whether you like vipers or cobras more… Well, you guys can comment some other suitable metaphor.
This scared little non-Malay, non-Muslim mouse is out of squeaks. (Is there even a constitutional difference under Article 160?)
Honestly, can’t we just have a political party that gives us full citizen rights and doesn’t try and crowd out our personal beliefs and culture?