The following are my favourute picks from the comments at Patterico’s Pontifications, who asked people to share their stories of how/why they’ve been banned from LGF.
Myself, never been a follower of LGF… I came in around the ‘second generation’ of blogs like The Jawa Report.
4. Getting banned from commenting for disagreeing with him on a different site then LGF is nothing.
He’s IP blocked people from even viewing LGF because they’ve disagreed with him.
When people that disagree with him have linked to him, he’s redirected their links to insulting animated GIFFs. (Well, until he needed the hits, that is)
Nothing more petty and childish then CJ.
Comment by TTC — 1/2/2010 @ 1:47 pm
8.I was banned for commenting that in a thread where Charles Johnson was complaining about the GOP demanding ideological purity. Basically, I agreed, and said that it is rediculous for an individual to try and build support by tossing potential allies under the bus over small disagreements.
I guess it hit too close to home for Charles.
By the way Patterico, you should now mind your comment boards, there is a pretty good chance that LGF moderater Kilgore Trout will start planting racist comments in them to prove that you are racist.
Comment by bskb — 1/2/2010 @ 2:01 pm
10. I defended the Tea Party movement: I said they were motivated by opposition to increased government spending and government expansion, not racism. My comments were deleted. When I lamented that LGF did not welcome debate, I was banned. I was not shrill, did not use profanity, and tried to keep the comments highbrow and thoughtful. Oh well.
I still visit LGF. Charles should really get rid of the comment section altogether – it adds little to the posted stories and indeed serves as an enabler for the sites worst habits.
Comment by Matt — 1/2/2010 @ 2:02 pm
15. I was banned a while back, at least 18 months probably more like two years, for telling Charles to do what he finally did – publicly break with the “Right.” I said something like why don’t you just drop the charade, declare yourself a liberal, and get on with it. Bant!
Comment by chaos — 1/2/2010 @ 2:09 pm
18. I was banned for taking Charles to task when he posted a glowing recommendation of Max Blumenthal’s book “Republican Gomorrah,” citing it as a work of serious insight into the Right today. This is the same book in which Blumenthal says the Republicans are a bunch of sadomasochistic religious fanatics who had been abused as children and who want revenge on the world. I’m not kidding. After I posted my “you’ve got to be kidding” comment, I didn’t go back for a few days. When I did, I found my account had been blocked.
CJ is as intolerant as he accuses other people of being.
Comment by Anthony — 1/2/2010 @ 2:16 pm
23. During a thread concerning Alan Keyes, one of the commenters mentioned that Keyes’ daughter (I think) is gay. Charles responded by posting, “Serves him right” or words to that affect.
I quoted him and responded simply “That was really, really low” as I couldn’t believe anyone would consider a child’s sexuality apt “punishment” for a parent’s supposed sins. Let alone the idea that being gay should be considered a mark of shame or something. The whole issue had nothing to do with the original topic and was just a childish snipe.
I was immediately banned and my IP blocked from access.
Comment by Blue Ox — 1/2/2010 @ 2:25 pm
27. When he added the “up-ding” and “down-ding” features I said he would use them to get people to self-select for banning. It seems I was correct as many claim that all they did was down-ding one of his posts and then they were banned. It is hard work making sure no one strays from the orthodoxy.
There are entire sites devoted just to chronicling the guy’s separation with reality. I think that just feeds his delusions of adequacy.
Comment by Voluble — 1/2/2010 @ 2:32 pm
31. I was banned after down-dinging several post on the Van Jones controversy. I had only commented occasionally.
It was really amazing to be banned for using an up/down like/dislike feature provided on the blog. If down-dings get you banned, what’s the point of maintaining the rating feature? It can only be to maintain the fiction that a positive score on a post really means something.
I haven’t (and won’t) go back.
Comment by Clavius — 1/2/2010 @ 2:38 pm
35. At Little Green Footballs, there is a scoring system where registered commenters may express approval or disapproval of each comment. Approval adds one point to the commenter’s total, and disapproval subtracts one point. These options are called “updings” and “downdings.” There are people who claim to have been banned for updinging a comment Charles didn’t like, or for downdinging one of Charles’ comments.
Comment by Official Internet Data Office — 1/2/2010 @ 2:47 pm
41. My story is similar to many here. I quietly, with no foul language or insults, would disagree or ask questions on “key” issues. When someone with whom I agreed got banned for some innocuous reason, he contacted me and asked me if I would please relay an “I’m sorry I cannot respond since I was banned” message to someone else at LGF. That’s what I did – just said “So & so would like you to know he’s sorry he cannot reply.”
Bang. That was it; banned.
The whole scenario is rather frightening. Only those who toe the party line can remain. Disagree with Charles and you’re history. Reality and carefulness with accuracy is non-existent. And – it is unfortunate. Once LGF had lots of useful links and some decent discussions. No more.
Comment by A Loof — 1/2/2010 @ 3:14 pm
43. Well, I was banned long before most of you were, during the time when people still called him Conservative. I’m not exactly sure of the time, at least over a year ago, and then some.
It was when he just started the anti-Creationism bent that he’s been on for about 1.5 years now (maybe more?). I was being very polite debating and asking why Charles was being so angry, and he fired off an angry response to me, I responded back to him, and actually said I was honored that he replied but I disagreed. He basically called me a moron, so I said that I donate to the Discovery Center and linked to their donation page (pro-Christian, pro-Creationist musuem) he banned me…
I was ticked so I re-registered, and got banned quickly again, never really read his site since, and I turn my ad blocker on everytime I do. He isn’t getting any ad revenue from me.
Yes, Charles complained about the left censoring comments on their sites when he was a Conservative, but I guess he figured now that he’s one with his former nemisises at Kos, he can employ the same tactic and ban everyone who doesn’t tow the same line.
Charles, it’s tough to tow your line when it changes so often…
Comment by Canerican — 1/2/2010 @ 3:18 pm
45. I was banned early in the year for simply taking issue, in an adult manner, with Excitable Chucky’s comparing Creationism with Intelligent Design. I explained that the two are not necessarily the same, and that the teaching of ID is not necessarily “stealth creationism.” That was it. Simple.
Banned. Of course, it probably didn’t help that I commented at Little Green Footballs 2.0, mostly in the non-Chucky threads.
I had mostly lost interest in LGF when he started having post after post about Creationism and stuff, and realized he was showing his true colors when he removed his header with the Moonbat shielding the Jihadi right around the time Obama won.
Personally, I keep an eye on the nutjob through RSS, refusing to give him hits, and, if I link, I use a special script that gives the link to Basil’s Blog🙂
He’s not even an honest Barking Moonbat/Unhinged Tool. Folks like Sullivan and Kos are at least honest nuts.
Comment by William Teach — 1/2/2010 @ 3:35 pm
50.I was banned when I wrote of Van Jones: “kicked a commie out of the White House.”
Comment by gp — 1/2/2010 @ 3:56 pm
53. I wasn’t banned. I resigned my membership via a post on the LGF website after it had turned into an anti-creationism blog. Then Chucky posted something to the effect of “Oh yeah, you can’t quit! You’re fired!” So I guess I was banned…after I had already quit.
Comment by packsoldier — 1/2/2010 @ 4:24 pm
54. Mid september I was banned. Was down dinging and up dinging a bunch of posts/comments. The next day my account was blocked.
Comment by h0mi — 1/2/2010 @ 4:26 pm
96. Not only was I banned, but I was the first to have 7 years of posts deleted.
CJ’s final solution.
Comment by savage — 1/2/2010 @ 6:17 pm
100. I got banned for questioning CJ’s mental health in a post on Fark.com. I’m not sure when they have time to run a blog, when it appears they troll every website to see what is being said about them.
Comment by sybilll — 1/2/2010 @ 6:40 pm
107. I was banned, I think, for posting at another blog that CJ had deemed unmentionable (GCP). I never said anything particularly negative about LGF, and nothing was ever said at LGF about my banning so far as I know, just one day poof! I couldn’t log on. At that point I seldom did, so it’s not like it was a loss to me, but still. For posting at a blog he doesn’t like? C’mon–that’s childish.
Lots of other good places to go, so I’m not mourning overmuch.
Comment by Bob’s Kid — 1/2/2010 @ 7:22 pm
116. The list of LGF bannees that we have collected is over 1700 names now. We have a great chat like the old lizard lounge at http://table9chat.com
Stop by and say Hi. You may find some old friends and or make some new ones.
Comment by Birkenstock Cowboy — 1/2/2010 @ 8:05 pm
117. banned, eh? get your nic in The Official Book Of The Banned
Comment by Kirls — 1/2/2010 @ 8:08 pm
123. There’s a whole “lizard diaspora” of sites built by or around LGF refugees.
I’d be off LGF for months at a time due to overwork. Then I’d check in during slower periods and get a “boiling frog” experience. See that people I used to see all over the place for years had become “unpersons”. In the beginning I could at least rationalize the bannings. As time went by this became increasingly difficult.
Then the “secondary boycotts” started. Now you could get banned for linking to a “verboten” site in your own blog. Once you join the “verboten” list others can get banned for linking to you (”tertiary boycott”), etc. (Similarity with the Arab League’s boycotts of Israel is intentional is neither intentional nor coincidental, merely unavoidable. Oh delicious irony.)
The “memory-holing” of thousands of comments of a long-term contributor, from a rare event aimed at dealing with somebody who left too much problematic stuff to scrub by hand, became a standard “capital punishment” for major commenters that dared step out of line, or that simply got into fights with one of the “monitor lizards”, particularly “Iceweasel” who I think is de facto running the site now.
Reading CJ’s pathetic “why I parted ways with the Right” provided closure, but I’ve not wished to dwell on the past. LGF is no more — it is a ‘corpse without soul’. The spirit of LGF lives on elsewhere — in the multiple “diaspora sites”.
Comment by Lightmore — 1/2/2010 @ 8:22 pm
128. I was banned for nothing more than posting on another blog. I went there under a different nic for a week, then decided I’d rather let people know who I was. Within a few hours, I was banned at lgf.
That’s it. No insults, no disruptive posts, just posting somewhere else, where the policy is to NOT put down other blogs (not the real stalker blog)
I guess he’s like the kids “If you play with them, you can’t play with me any more!”
Comment by Kosh’s Shadow — 1/2/2010 @ 8:42 pm
131. I was banned for saying it’s a waste of time for anyone to defend Al Gore. I never even disagreed with the AGW theory itself, I’ll admit I don’t know enough about it. All I said was that Gore is an enviro-hypocrite and for that I was permanently silenced.
Comment by G Wiz — 1/2/2010 @ 8:51 pm
133. A while back there was a post on LGF about an abortion protester. Charles Johnson refered to her as “anti choice”. I asked him why he refered to her as “anti choice” instead of “anti abortion”. My post was deleted, but not before someone quoted it and refered to it as a “flounce”. I had to look up the meaning of the word. Apparently it’s what 10 year olds call a “goodbye” post. I kept visiting LGF for a couple of weeks out of morbid curiosity, but it just got to be too sad to continue reading.
Comment by Joker23 — 1/2/2010 @ 8:59 pm
147. LGF has been a totalitarian state for quite a while now, as is well documented by the umpteenth-hundred “WTF, I got banned” posts that litter the blogosphere.
This really isn’t news.
Ironically, however, a thread like this one demonstrates that the “free” blogosphere is the noble way to roll. I mean….rayra and I, in the same thread? ‘Nuff said.
Comment by ChenZhen — 1/2/2010 @ 10:36 pm
This will be my last posting ever with this nick. I was banned about mid September of 2009. My crime? I “updinged” a post that CJ downdinged later. Banned within minutes of that happening. At least that’s my understanding. No warning, nothing. I was on the way out though. A lot of posters that I had become friends with over the 3 years almost of being registered there had been banned in the great end of summer purge. I have moved on to other sites and did what CJ told anyone that disagreed with him “Get your own damn blog”. Bye Chuckles, I hope you get the help you need.
Comment by BlueCanuck — 1/2/2010 @ 10:42 pm
Banned for just leaving. “Hey, I don’t know why these people flounce off, why don’t they just leave?”
Agreed ! So I did. Found out a couple weeks later that I had been ‘caught’ posting on another blog.
Who’s stalking who ?
The saddest thing isn’t the owner of the blog, but the ones who’ve sold their souls to the place.
Comment by squatch — 1/3/2010 @ 5:45 am
My account was blocked after I left a comment praising one of CJ’s posts. He wrote about someone who was being criticized for their associations and how wrong it was to do such a thing. This was long after he had started on Pamela, and a few months after his attacks on Robert Spencer. His post was so accurate, and such an example of cognitive dissonance, that is was bizarre. He here was lamenting the very thing he had become famous for doing. I said it was a great post and he should take his own advice when it came to people like, oh, Robert.
The really bizarre aspect of LGF could be seen plainly at the Lizard Lounge. I was going through menopause, so would find myself wide awake at 3 or 4AM. I got in the habit of watching Red Eye on Fox, and then would go online after it ended. I spent many, many early morning hours watching the chats there.
Charles was like their king. Seriously. They worshipped him. One night (this was about 5AM my time in Massachusetts) there was some kid in the chat who started criticizing CJ for some post he had recently made. The room started filling up very quickly. Then the King himself showed up after about 20 minutes.
It was literally like a mass bow to the King. The reaction to Charles being in the chat was immediate and typical chat room crap. People were falling all over each other to rat out this kid and what he had been posting about Charles. Most of what they typed were lies about what the kid had said before Charles joined.
I sat there for a few minutes reading the stuff as it quickly scrolled by. I corrected a couple of the misstatements by posting “that’s not what he said, this is what he said:” and I would scroll back and actually quote the kid.
Somebody PM’d me and asked me why I was “defending the kid”. Cripes.
I logged out after Charles banned the miscreant and I didn’t bother going back to the Lounge after that.
A few months later Charles had one of his biggest fits and closed the Lounge after he discovered people were using it behind his back. Now THAT was funny. CJ finds out he’s not the brilliant technical guru he thought he was. That must have really hurt.
Comment by Jaynie59 — 1/3/2010 @ 5:48 am
I just made a snarky comment asking about the birth certificates of Bush and B Clinton, and got a profane banning notice.
Comment by AreaMan — 1/3/2010 @ 6:14 am
I was banned by Charles because I posted on a new blogspot – one that he was “sure” would BECOME a Stalker Blog the way LGF 2.0 had started out. This in spite of my having been a regular on LGF for over 5 years, made more than 50,000 comments, and hit his tip jar for a total of almost a nickel a comment over all those years.
He then proceeded to “trash me” and of course his “posse” then jumped in; of course that’s because I was banned and couldn’t reply to him or them. To his credit, he broke Rathergate, Reuters fauxtography, and revealed some truly horrific European White supremacist connections with supposedly contra-jihad blogs as well. But other than that, I went to LGF for the quality of the comments and the commenter’s, not for him.
But that he’d throw out a supporter of long standing, who’d put his money where his mouth was, because I posted at a blog he was sure would BECOME A STALKER BLOG (and which, 5-6 months later has still never criticized him or LGF) says it all; it’s all about him – no warning not to post anywhere, nothing. Just there one day and then gone the next. Oh and of course he complained that the blog I posted at (which such posting got me banned) didn’t even LINK TO LGF. Yep CJ, it’s all about you, you Johnson.
Comment by Jimi Hendrix — 1/3/2010 @ 6:25 am
172. I was banned last summer for asking CJ questions. The topic doesn’t matter, the point was I wanted him to clarify something and after refusing I found my account blocked.
A Totalitarian Progressive in action
Comment by Horatio — 1/3/2010 @ 6:34 am
Back before there was AGW or Creationism or BlogWarz in that vacuum reputed to be Chaz’ head, I got banned. August 2007. By some people’s judgement, my banning was the start of what we like to call Purge II, which has been ongoing ever since. Purge II was the start of banning people because of them posting on forbidden sites.
I had started posting on GCP shortly after the Friday Night Massacre (which, as EW1(SG) has already pointed out, resulted in the original “Banned of Brothers”.) I was not exactly wall recieved there at that time, because I had poked fun at them on LGF, but I persisted, and it all worked out eventually.
Anywho, I had posted some story or other on an open thread at LGF, and had (as is my practice) given a hat tip to the person that had made me aware of the story. In this case, rayra at GCP. Chaz issued a stern warning that he would block my account if I hat-tipped anybody at GCP again (GCP was THE ’stalker blog’ back then.) So, on GCP, I said that I would simply have to stop posting stories to LGF if they required a hat tip to somebody at GCP. The next morning on the Dead Thread, “Geepers” made some comment about how LGF used to be a biker bar of a blog. It was then that I made my fatal post, which I will now repeat in it’s entirety – “Heh.” BOOM ! I was banned, banned, banned. 25.8 K posts with never a deletion.
This may have been the first instance of somebody being banned for posting on a forbidden blog, but it sure as hell wasn’t the last.
Now, in all honesty, everybody on here were late-comers to the truth. One man (other than Dave Ray, who is a whack job) called it way early. Dennis the Peasant. Personally, it took me until The Great Google Boycott to realise that something wasn’t right. For those who don’t remember, The Great Google Boycott, promoted mainly by Chaz and The Raj, lasted right up until the femtosecond the first Google ad check hit the old PJM bank account, then vanished without a trace. Ka-ching !
Comment by Mike C. — 1/3/2010 @ 7:27 am
Banned for saying in one of his Darwinist threads that I believed in a higher power.
Comment by otcconan — 1/3/2010 @ 7:41 am
187. I was banned for calling the sycophantic up-dingers “Kiss-butts” for up dinging Chuckie for saying “I’m on hold!” while he was waiting to speak to Alan Colmes. I went on to ask, ironically, if any of them were Norwegian: if they were they could nominate Chuckie for the Nobel. No sense of humor!
I was banned within the hour. When I posted I was at something like number 300: the next day when I was doing my post-ban review, I noticed the post count was down to less than 225. He deleted a full third of the posts!
LGF used to be spirited and fun 5-6 years ago. Now it is merely an echo chamber with less than ten active posters. Good riddance comrade!
Comment by Crashnburn — 1/3/2010 @ 9:55 am
What is it that makes some seemingly normal people go batpoop crazy when they grasp the banhammer? I was once a reader, never a commenter, at LGF, but I have seen the Overzealous Moderator phenomenon play out again and again in discussion forums.
In its most common form, it’s an ordinary commenter who is elevated to moderator status and immediately goes psycho. Often enough, it’s somebody who seemed regular and decent before getting a taste of the power.
When it’s the blog owner, it can get real ugly.
Comment by S. Weasel — 1/3/2010 @ 10:35 am
191. A bunch of us in the Lounge were banned for updinging ‘Eric Cartman’s Conscience’ on one of the many vax threads. The gangdingers were attacking a father who dared express his opinions. We updinged him to try to get him even. We knew we were “risking” it – and that really says it all – you dare not express yourself, even by updinging a post.
LGF posts are predominantly about Charles and his fights with other bloggers. In the threads he stalks his own readers, especially the newly registered, he mocks, he taunts, it’s a mad hunter patrolling his perimeter and shooting at shadows. the remaining commentors make inane chit chat and apologize profusely if they appear to transgress the “lizard” line – no one really knows what the line is though – as you can see from reading the comments here and at Kirly’s list of the banned… some are banned simply for using his search feature to look for banned friends. It is flat out insane.
We started the ‘new Lounge’ – table9chat.com before he closed his Lounge. We managed to get in contact with those who were still left in the Lounge and were letting them know where they could find missing friends. We’re still missing some, like marsl, and Elias Israel… You can find Table 9 at Blogmocracy, Stop The ACLU, The Coffee Shop, Kirly’s, at 34 blogs, stop in and visit, and feel free to link in as well.
It will be good to see you – and Thank You, Patterico, for the post.
Comment by Rose — 1/3/2010 @ 10:48 am
I registered at LGF a couple-few years ago but I don’t think I ever posted a comment. It was always so coffee-klatschy and cliquish, and I had nothing to add to that.
Last fall when CJ made it clear that he had gone ’round the bend I posted a very polite comment to the effect that “I’ve read your blog for years, maybe not so much lately, but you did some great work in the past and whatever’s going on I hope that you are okay.”
Result? Yep. Banned!
Comment by Once Was Bart — 1/3/2010 @ 12:23 pm
I was banned sometime last year in the early summer I think. I do not recall exactly. It was back when he was still pretending to be a conservative. Why did I get banned? I got banned for asking him why he was so against creationists and creationism. I wasn’t being negative or hostile; I tended to only comment in tech related blog postings. I honestly wanted to know why the recent change and focus on creationists. I asked again why my comment was deleted as my question was authentic and meant no hostility (or something along those lines) and my second question got deleted, I got called a moron or something along those lines and I got banned.
What is sad to me is that Johnson’s most devoted followers would immediately agree with creationism if Johnson himself had a change of heart and said that he did too. No individual thought at all. And God help you if you do have a thought that disagrees with Johnson; he will just delete it and ban you.
Comment by ZeroDamage — 1/3/2010 @ 1:09 pm
199. A lot of hashing this over has been done and reasonable speculation is that CJ has intentionally moved to the left side in order to attract financial support to run his blog like many of the far left blogs receive.
CJ never was and still isn’t a good blogger. He adds only a short note to material gathered elsewhere.
The attraction was his many commenters which used his post as a starting point for research and expansion on the thread.
They are what made the blog worth something and NOT CJ.
He has now banned over 1700 of them to reshape his comment crew to match the left side agenda and demands only yes men type of comments.
The nutroots used to hate him but now they are taking him in as a blog that ’saw the light’.
Comment by Day Trader — 1/3/2010 @ 1:13 pm