I’ve been wondering, why is it that just about all the Communist dictatorships were also de facto atheistic or downright anti-religion (Stalin, Pol Pot)? What similarities or complementing factors led to this synergy?
At this point, I can only conjecture some reasons:
1) Traditional religions get in the way of the new religion of Leader Worship.
2) Religion proposes a higher moral authority than mere fallible man (whether God or the law of karma), which undermines the control of the Party.
3) Religions come with an existing set of immutable laws and an absolute moral code, which interferes with the State’s fascist policies (i.e. the state comes first, Thou Shall Not Murder be darned).
4) Religion attributes a higher, spiritual purpose for humanity, which conflicts with the Communist higher purpose of The Greater Good (again, the state comes first, 8 million Ukrainians be darned).
5) Monotheistic religion generally rejects or is antipathic towards evolutionary theory, something that is seen as a challenge to the Social Darwinist policies carried out by Communist regimes.
If anyone has more solid info, please feel free to share.
See also my comparison/contrast between early Christianity and Communism.