Version 1 is here.
Why build it in such a provocative place? Well, duh, because it is such a provocative place.
See also Michael Ramirez’s take on it.
- NYC Community Board Oks Ground Zero Mosque Plans – Lines from here quoted in last panel of comic.
- Ground Zero Mosque Imam Tied to “Freedom Flotilla” – Dr. Mahathir’s Perdana is involved. The real story behind the Gaza Flotilla here.
- “Cordoba House” Suggests Muslim Triumphalism in Construction of Mosque At Ground Zero – Cordoba was, of course, the seat of the caliphate established in what is now modern Spain after the Islamic invasion from North Africa in the 8th century A.D.
- Why There Should Be No Mosques at Ground Zero – The placement of mosques throughout Islamic history has been an expression of conquest and superiority over non-Muslims. Muslims built the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock on the site of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem in order to proclaim Islam’s superiority to Judaism. The Umayyad Mosque in Damascus was built over the Church of St. John the Baptist, and the Hagia Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople was converted into a mosque, to express the superiority of Islam over Christianity. Historian Sita Ram Goel has estimated that over 2,000 mosques in India were built on the sites of Hindu temples for the same reason.
- Sarah Palin Bashes Plans For Ground Zero Mosque – Peace-seeking Muslims, pls understand, Ground Zero mosque is UNNECESSARY provocation; it stabs hearts. Pls reject it in interest of healing.
So yes, nothing is ‘proven’ about the true motives behind the building of this complex. And thus, any protests out of anger and perceived insult are probably irrational and – perhaps even – intolerant.
As AoSHQ puts it in reaction to the centre being finally cleared to go:
If you really want to reach out to others, one of the first rules is you don’t do it in a way that is provocative and insulting to the people you allegedly are trying to come together with. Very often activists hide their activism in the gauzy, politically correct language of ‘out reach’ and ‘tolerance’ but their actions are anything but.
I’m not advocating that we sink to the level of these backward nations. No one is denying the organizers of the Ground Zero mosque project have a legal right to do what they are doing. I’m simply saying, if you’re goal is to really enhance understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims, there are a lot better ways to do it and places more in need of it than the area around the World Trade Center.
But when the shoes was on the other foot, the authorities did not hesitate to play it safe when it came to ‘perceived insult’ – valid or not: St George’s cross, St George himself, England’s flag, the Holocaust, drawings, and everything in between.
Double standards from liberal dhimmis, once again.
Compare and contrast an earlier Roman Catholic reaction:
The building of a Carmelite convent at Auschwitz in the 1980s so wounded Jewish sensibilities that Pope John Paul II ordered it removed in 1993, even though the Holocaust was not carried out in the name of any faith.
A Muslim speaks out that the mosque is an act of fitna.
Kudos to Moonbattery for featurage of this statement in comic form.