Spotted hanging on the fence outside the Bangunan Perak Darul Ridzuan. Clearly visible by passing motorists, especially those who have to stop for the traffic lights right next to the banner. Captions follow pics:
The banner outside of Bangunan Perak Darul Ridzuan
O Allah, O our God
Strengthen the resolve of
Dr. Zambry Abd Kadir*
and our leaders to defend the sovereignity
of our state against the threat of the cruel opposition!
*current Menteri Besar of Perak under UMNO/BN
Signboard clearly visible next to the banner
No doubt about where this is
Clearly the same Perak crest as on the signboard
For comparison, another (more innocent) banner further down the road – note the use of the Perak crest again
Probably appeared just this morning when I first spotted it, as I didn’t notice it when I passed by yesterday morning.
Is this legal? Bear in mind:
1) You need to apply for a permit to hang any banner on public property, such as at a street.
2) Blatantly inflammatory smear of a political faction. ‘Kejam’ is usually preceded by ‘rejime Zionis yang’ in Malaysia, which shows just how strongly worded the banner is!
3) Usage of the official Perak crest.
If the banner is in fact commissioned by the BN-controlled state government (as the comparison in the last pic seems to indicate, and thereby bypassing lots of permit red-tape), then a whole other host of issues crops up:
1) Why is the state government engaging in such openly partisan displays? You can’t even pass this off as a ‘factual information’ public service announcement.
2) They’re using our taxpayer money to pay for this sort of thing?!!
3) Who approved this nonsense?
Imagine if, instead, it were an Opposition sponsored banner insulting BN hanging on the periphery of the Dewan Rakyat. ISA or not, hmm?
What do you think about this?
UPDATE 5 AUGUST 2010: Banner is gone and replaced with the more usual ad for some ceramah. That was quick! Way to blow all that money printing full-colour for nothing lol!