So you just bought Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam. You excitedly downlaod it, and when it’s finally done you gleefully doubl-click the icon…
And nothing happens. Okay, so maybe you didn’t click it properly. You try again. This time you’re sure you see the little pop up that appears whenever you start up any game thru Steam. It disappears almost instantly… But still no game.
You click the Play button instead, run it from Program Files – nothing.
You probably need Windows Service Pack 3 like I did.
Head on over to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389 to get it. Myself used the following option:
1) Scroll down about a page and a half to Let me fix it myself.
2) Look for Download the latest Windows XP service pack from the Microsoft Download Center. (Yes, there is an Express choice, but it failed for me.)
3) Click the link Collapse this imageExpand this image
Download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 package now (or here it is if you prefer).
4) Save the file and wait for the download to finish.
5) Once it’s fully downloaded, turn off your anti-virus’ automatic guard before you run the file (important or the installation will fail after making you wait ages!).
6) Let the installer/updater run by itself.
7) Once it’s finished, let it auto-restart your PC or restart manually.
8) Boot up Steam and play some MtG!
(Solution found at various forums and tested myself.)
The screen may be too zoomed-in to see all the cards. And when you zoom in to a specific card, the bottom section is off screen – so you can’t read the details.
Simple. Go back to the main menu, get into the options for display, and set it to a lower resolution.