Commenter mae graciously converted and uploaded a copy of this hard to find classic!
Can anyone help me with this?
As a kid in the 1980s, I used to watch this video tape of a show over and over. It has the following characteristics:
1) Traditional cartoon animation
2) Featured a talking owl who taught about the alphabet – his catch phrase: “Hello again, it’s me! The/Your friendly old owl with the ABCs,” after he woke up from being perched on a tree branch at the start of each episode.
3) Each episode focuses on a letter of the alphabet – as the owl put it, “Big D… And little d.”
4) Once every episode, he would invite us to look inside ‘the magic pot’. The screen would zoom into the mouth of the pot/vase, inside which looks like outer space. Items that start with the letter of the episode would zoom towards us as the owl says out their names. After that was all done, the owl would reach his wing to dig around inside the vase and pull out the letters featured.
5) For the letter X, the owl admitted that there were very few words that begin with that letter. The magic pot was correspondingly sparse, with xylophone and x-ray being the only items.
6) At the end of each episode, a jazzy tune would play (led by clarinet or something similarly high pitched) we would see all the letter of the alphabet lined up in several rows – each big letter next to its small letter – and the letter pairs would light up or bulge out (I forget which) one by one until the featured letter pair was reached, at which point it would light up/bulge out for longer than the others.
7) There were other animals too, kind of guests for certain letters.
I’ve been trying my very best, but I simply cannot find any trace of this show online – not even the name! And I’m no noob when it comes to Google searches either. Unfortunately, there are lots of other cartoon owls to clog up the searches – such as Owl from Winnie the Pooh and Owl Johnson (I love to singa!).
Can anyone help me name this show or even find a copy?
It’s a treasured childhood memory. I even remember the tunes for the magic pot sequence and at the end of each episode.